Maverick Authors - We Ain't Your Mama's Romance Writers

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Sparkles Checks In

So here's a little bit about me:

I started writing novels in 1998. As a stay home mom, I had "ample" time on my hands. Ok. That's a joke. But I did have the drive to write and staying home to take care of my daughter meant I could do that. Fortunately for me, she took long naps.

I chose romance because that happened to be the genre I had an idea for, and I loved reading smart, sexy romances. I had written tons of short fiction, sf/f and horror, and flat out hard core graphic material with no romance at all. But I started writing my first novel An Exaltation of Larks, which was a fantasy romance, and at the same time, Lonesome Bride, a historical romance, because an editor from Harlequin had liked the idea when I pitched it to her. So I wrote those, and then some more, and I got hooked up with RWA and my local chapter, CPRW, and I kept going.

I fell into erotic romance because the climate of the time was right and I have never written closed door romance. And like the chicken rewarded with food by pecking the right key, I kept writing erotic romance because the accolades and paychecks have made my smutty nature feel free to come out of its not very secret hiding place.

What do I write now? Erotic romance, with an erotica novel in the works, sf/f/horror/mainstream/women's fiction/novels/novellas and short stories...basically, whatever I feel like. I just finished my first screenplay and plan to write more.

Heck, I just write, and usually, somewhere along the way, someone has sex because that's what I like to read. Or see in movies. I need to please myself or I won't please anyone else!

I'm a celebrity gossip hoor, though only on select celebs, I have vast and undying passion for buffalo wings and I can't live without my iPod.

I don't know if I'm really all that hilarious, but heck, if Scissors says so, it must be true, 'cuz that woman is just too darned smart to make a mistake. And Piston, sweet Piston, such an angel...

I'm honored to be a part of this triumvarate (spelling?!) and be a Maverick Author, and very, very glad to have met my cohorts Piston and Scissors. My life is richer for the meeting....

M aka Sparkles

Posted by AuthorM :: 2:01 PM :: 1 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------